Monday, July 28, 2008

Cashback

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."

It's been a while since I posted anything like a movie review. I've seen plenty. Well, actually, hectic as life has been lately, I haven't really seen enough, but I've seen the majors: Wanted, Hancock, The Dark Knight. You can find plenty of reviews on them. And they're all good (the movies, not the reviews)--all worth the chunk of your salary you'll pay to escape real life for two hours or more. (Though the one you might expect to be the most escapist may surprise you in it's fidelity to the realities of the human psyche.)

I'm more inclined to review in this space the movies you're likely to otherwise miss. So, quickly, because my life is still more hectic than ever as I prepare to move from Colorado to South Carolina in the next ten days, here's another movie worth your time that you've probably missed already. I would have missed it too. I stumbled on it. Unable to sleep, I decided to give a movie a try.

Netflix has this cool feature that allows you to "watch instantly." I pulled up comedy as the category and on the first row was a movie called Cashback. Okay, I'll admit it, the cover bore the image of pretty girl, and I'm sure that's what attracted me. But it's not what kept me watching to the end.

Over the past year, I've named two movies that you really shouldn't miss: Once and Reign Over Me. If you followed those recommendations, but didn't like the movies, then you shouldn't watch this one either. But if those recommendations proved worthwhile, this one is for a movie I would consider to be in the same category. I'll warn you up front though, that the nudity in it is total (women only; no guys in the buff; sorry ladies), but it's not prurient. It is, actually, quite beautiful. And if ever there were a movie for which a soundtrack were a crucial part of the overall effect, this is one. (I tried to buy the soundtrack after the movie was over, but I don't think it exists.) Billed as a comedy and rated R for "graphic nudity"--a poor choice of words really--it's not likely to be something you would pull off the shelf or order from Netflix on your own.

I realize, of course, that I'm telling on myself in that, I did order up and start watching that movie, but my choices to "watch instantly" were limited, and it looked like the most promising of the few. Little did I know. And whatever telling on myself I may be doing, I'll live with it in order to recommend the movie. I can easily imagine how someone might accuse it of being a glorification of voyeurism. I think that would be an unfortunate misinterpretation and reflect a misunderstanding of that word. It will depend, in the end, on your answer to the protagonist's question posed to the object of his own affection in the movie's final moments: "Do you trust me?"

At any rate, I found it a good movie, a cathartic experience, worth both the time it took to watch, and the time it took to write this. See for yourself. You'll know after the first half hour whether it's worth the next 70 minutes or not.

Once upon a time I wanted to know what love was. Love is there if you want it to be. You just have to see that it's wrapped in beauty and hidden away between the seconds of your life. If you don't stop for a minute, you might miss it.