Monday, March 12, 2007

300

We saw it Sunday. I tried to post the following review to Fandango, only to be told that I had to keep my review to 1000 characters or less. No character count mind you, so I have no idea how much too long it is. My answer: Screw you Fandango, I'll post it elsewhere:

"Ooh. That was nice."

The quote is from my 15-yr-old, who wanted to know, more or less seriously, "Where did they find that many ripped men in one place."


As a guy, I loved it as a guy movie. But my friend, listening to my daughter made the astute observation, "You know, really it is sort of a chick flick too." I had to agree.


And that's a surprise, since taking my 15-yr-old was a little of a risk in the first place. I tried to explain to her, "This should give you some idea of what testosterone is really all about." "What?" "Never mind. Consider this a warning for what really makes men tick."

She loved it. Never mind that we're all about battle and one-up-manship. I could hear her ooh! every time the Spartans charged the camera. And I have to admit . . . running and tensing your abs at the same time is not the easiest thing in the world.


I loved it though. From a guy's standpoint: keep "Wild Hogs." That's good fare for the Will Farrell crowd. Give me blood and glory any day. Okay, that 's in Wild Hogs too, but I like mine without the silliness.


Go see it. You won't regret it. Unless you think Idiocracy was a better movie than Gladiator. Then, we need to talk.