Friday, February 1, 2008

"Have a Blessed Day"

Here. Have a chuckle on me. Unhappy with the new Palm Desktop, not wanting to install it on my second computer, and having lost the disc (it's somewhere around here) with the old Desktop on it, I decided to lean on Palm Support Chat for a little help. Ever seen that PhotoShopped picture of the tech support guy on the bicycle with the satellite laptop? (Send it to me if you have a copy.) Well, I got to talk to him.

What follows is the transcript of our conversation. (I could have edited it to make it more funny, but I think it's funny enough just the way it happened.) I thought I asked pretty clear questions. Eventually, I just gave up and went along for the ride. Enjoy. I think I did a pretty good job of keeping myself in check, well, except for just one second--but I got it back.

Status: Analyst Glenn is here and your issue status is: working Problem: Question about PD 6.2

DocI sync with both my computer at work and my computer at home. I live by my Palm. Installed 6.2 at work yesterday. It sucks. Shoot the idiot that thinks it's okay to "update" software and remove capabilities (like color for Calendar categories). I'd like to reinstall the Desktop from my CD, but don't have it with me here. Questions:1)Is there a place I can download the version that came on the CD?2)Until I can do that, or find my CD, will it cause a problem to sync with 6.2 here, then sync with the CD version on the computer at home?3)Will the lack of color-coding on the Desktop affect the color coding on the Treo itself?

Glenn
>Hello Doc, Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Glenn. How may I help you?

Glenn>
Hello.Glenn>I am sorry for delay.

Doc
>I'm here

Doc
>Did you read the questions?

Doc
>I have not synced the Treo with the computer that has the new Desktop installed. I would like to uninstall this giant step backward and re-install the desktop from the CD but can't find the CD this second.

Glenn
>I understand you are facing issue with the Palm Desktop software.

Doc
>Your developers have the issue. Your customers are now unhappy.

Glenn
>Can I confirm the model of the device?

Doc>Treo 755p

Glenn
>Please let me know the Operating System you are using. Is it Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista or MAC at Home and work place?

Doc>XP

Doc
>on both

Glenn
>Okay.

Doc>So, how’s the weather in Bangalore?

Glenn
>It's cool.

Glenn
>Let me know you are syncing with Palm Desktop or Outlook.

Doc
>Desktop. I prefer it to Outlook. But not the new version.

Glenn
>Thank you for the information.

Glenn
>For the first question.

Glenn
>You can download the software from the website.

Doc
>The only software on the website that I can find is the new version. That's what I want to UNinstall. Where can I get the old version until I can find my cd?

Glenn
>You can download the latest version of the Palm Desktop for your device.

Doc
>The latest version sucks. Thought I'd made that clear.

Doc
>Calendar color coding--gone. Auto import of bdays--gone.

Glenn
>Could you provide me with the complete error message you see?

Doc>There is no error message. Grab someone with better English skills and read the original questions again. You're pretty good, but there's nothing unclear about the issue if you read carefully. No error message. Personal preference. Like the old version of Desktop better. Want the unimproved update gone. Clear enough?

Glenn>I am afraid you inform, there is no color coding in the 6.2 version Palm Desktop.

Doc
>No shit.

Glenn
>For the second question.

Glenn
>The CD version and Website version is different.

Doc
>Glenn. Seriously.

Doc
>You keep telling me what I already obviously know. No kidding. Get someone with better language skills. I'm sure you’re a tech wizard, but the language thing is killing you here.

Glenn
>The 4.1.4e version is equal to CD version.

Glenn
>I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

Doc
>Where can I get 4.1.4e?

Glenn
>Can you provide me the log information?

Doc
>What log?

Glenn>The log information of the HotSync.

Doc>There is no log yet. I have not synced since installing 6.2.

Glenn
>You can get the 4.1.4e on the website.

Glenn
>Okay.

Glenn
>I will provide you the link to download the 4.1.4e version Palm Desktop.

Glenn
>http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk414e680.html#download

Glenn
>Please open the below link to download the software from it, let me know if you have any issues doing the same.

Doc>Superb. Thank you.

Glenn
>You 're welcome.

Glenn>Is there anything else I could assist you with?

Doc
Sure. Take a shot at questions 2 & 3. Just for yucks.

Glenn
>It won't cause any problem syncing with 6.2.

Glenn
>You need to assign the color category on the device.

Doc>So, you're saying I can sync with 6.2 here at work, then sync with 4.2 at home, and it won't cause any problems?

Doc
>And that the sucky lack of color coding on the desktop won't affect color coding on the device?Doc>Just want to be clear on these answers.

Glenn
>Yes, you can sync it on both versions. It won't cause any problem.

Glenn
>The color coding will affect the device color category, you need to assign the color category on the device.

Doc
>Riiiight.

Doc
>Thanks, Glenn. I think we're done here. Have a blessed day.

Glenn
>You 're welcome.

Glenn>
Have I addressed all your issues?


Doc>
I think "addressed" is your most skillful application of the English language during the entire session. Namaste. Out here.


Glenn
>Thank you.

Glenn
>Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. A customer survey will pop up once the chat ends.Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.
Trust me. You are so welcome.