Monday, March 10, 2008

Into the Wild, Atonement

Watched Into the Wild tonight.

I do movies. I'd seen 90% of the nominees for any award a few weeks ago.

That said, the three best movies I've seen in the last 12 months were Reign Over Me, Once, and now Into the Wild. The common element, I think, is that they're about relationships. Like the other two, this one gets five stars from me.

And while we're talking movies, if you haven't seen Atonement, it's worth the time too. But don't go thinking it's a romance. It's not. It's about exactly what the title suggest: how do you atone for the unredeemable act? Some consequences can't be undone. You live with them for the rest of your life, however long or short that is. That is what Atonement is about. And it's worth watching. It was also my pick for best cinematography, and still is. See it and see There Will Be Blood and tell me in which you think cinematography plays a more significant role.

But, before you see either one, see Into the Wild.