Monday, September 6, 2010

"They'd Trade Labor Day for Days of Labor" -Scott Simon

"Any one of us who is lucky enough to have a job today must worry about losing it. This Labor Day, we might salute the millions of Americans who don’t have jobs, but who in many ways work harder than ever."
On the way to the drop zone on Saturday morning, lucky enough not just to have "a day job," but to have an extracurricular activity that's sometimes better than break even as well, I heard a short piece on NPR that moved me.  NPR is my normal accompaniment on the way to work during the week, but on a weekend, I start out tuned into something a little more designed to get the blood flowing.  I was grateful this past Saturday was different.

You can read or listen to Scott Simon's reflection here.

This Labor Day, I hope you will.